Kolkata, west bengal
- Founded in the early 1900’s as the Calcutta Aerodrome.
- In 1924, the first Royal Air Force around-the-world flight landed at the aerodrome, and KLM became the first commercial airline to start operations at Kolkata with its Amsterdam-Calcutta-Jakarta flight.
- During World War II, Allied troops and the US Army Air Force and the Bombardment Group established their headquarters at the airport. It was also used as the communications centre of the Tenth Bombardment Group.
- The British Overseas Airways Corporation used the world’s first jet powered aircraft on their London to Calcutta route.
- Served as a stopover from Europe to Batavia (Jakarta) and Australia.
- Kolkata Airport was originally known as Dum Dum Airport, before being renamed in the honour of the great freedom fighter Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose in 1995.
The airport is the largest in Eastern India having 23 international and 10 domestic airlines operating from here.
It has a 2 MW Rooftop Solar Photovoltaic Plant and recently commissioned a 15 MW solar plant, which is spread over an area of 62 acres of land parallel to the primary runway.
- It is the 5th airport in India to have CAT-III landing system. The system allows flights to operate till the visibility drops below 50 metres.
The airport was ranked World Number 3 in the ASQ Awards 2017 by Airports Council International (ACI) in the 5-15 million category.