- Bhubaneswar Airport is named after former CM of Odisha Shri Biju Patnaik, a freedom fighter and a famed aviator.
- It is the only international airport in Odisha.
- Bhubaneswar Airport was ranked the 15th busiest airport in India by the AAI for the year 2017.
- The airport is the 11th busiest among all the AAI airports registering a 39.4% growth in traffic in the year 2017.
- It serves as the gateway to Puri – a popular tourist and religious destination on the eastern coast of India.
- The new Terminal 1, a two storied building, covers an area of 18,240 sq metres and has a capacity of holding 4 million passengers a year.