- It is one of India’s five highest-altitude airports, located at a height of 1,399 m or 4,590 feet.
- It boasts of being the highest environmentfriendly retaining wall in Asia and one of the finest engineering feats of the Airports Authority of India.
- The airport is an engineering marvel in its own class, which has been constructed by cut and fill of earth in hill slope.
- Geogrid, a green technology with high strength has been used to create almost vertical retaining walls.
- The challenging Pakyong Airport project was completed in 92 months.
- The airport has been developed as Greenfield airport for operation of ATR-72/ Q-400 type of aircraft.